Friday, November 1, 2013

Erik Richard Zimmerman

On October 5th,2013 we were so excited and happy to welcome our second baby Erik Richard Zimmerman into this world. He is just the sweetest little guy and we love him so much. Erik's delivery and birth was like a dream come true! It was such a great day with no problems, no complications, and no worries!
I had a doctors appointment on October 2nd and the doctor told me I was at a 2 - which is farther along than I was with Emery at that point, but I was still a little disappointed to not have progressed much from the week before. Erik had dropped several weeks before and every appointment I went to the doctor would always comment on how far down he was sitting, as if I couldn't tell! By the time my appointment came around on the 2nd (my official due date being October 4th) I was in a lot of pain because of how low he was sitting I was having trouble walking, sitting, and picking up Emery. When Dr. Maly told me I was at a 2 - the disappointment must have been obvious because he asked me at that point if I would like to be induced that weekend! Of course I readily accepted his offer and they called the hospital to schedule our induction. It was originally set for October 4th which we were really excited about because that is Guy's moms birthday!! Unfortunately, within about an hour of coming home from our appointment we got a call saying that the hospital was booked with a C-section at that time and they would have to put us off until Saturday morning October 5th - we were hoping Amie (what the grandkids call my mother in law) and Erik would share a birthday, but I guess we would settle for 1 days difference :)
So......
We checked into the hospital that morning and got to our room at 4:54am (as per the screen shot from my phone)
 
They started me on Pitocin at 5:30am and the contractions came on pretty quickly and constant from that point on. My doctor ended up going out of town that weekend so his partner Dr. Swanson was the one who would deliver Erik later on that evening. Dr. Swanson came in at about 9:45am and broke my water, I got my epidural shortly after that, and we were well on our way to meeting our little boy from that point on!
 

 
We did a lot of hanging out, watching tv, playing candy crush, checking fantasy football scores, talking about how much our little family was going to change, and once my epidural was in I was able to get some rest and even watch a little bit of general conference while at the hospital. It was the perfect day! Emery was having a blast at home hanging out with Amie who came out from Oregon to take care of all of us. I had the absolute BEST nurse ever who made our experience just that much better! She was amazing! Every time they would come to check my progress I had jumped up each time and around 3pm they said we were ready to start pushing. They started having me push and Erik decided he was going to turn to the side instead of stay put in the right position so they made me stop pushing, lay on my right side for 30 minutes to try to get him to turn back around and then we started pushing again around 3:30pm. Everything went perfectly! They eventually called Dr. Swanson and by the time he got there he had time to get dressed in his sterile gown and I pushed ONCE and our little boy was here! Guy told me later that he kept thinking to himself "if this doctor doesn't get here soon our nurse is going to have to deliver this baby!!"
 
 Erik Richard Zimmerman was born at 4:17pm and was 8 lbs 4oz and 20 1/2 inches long. He came out with quite the set of lungs and a full head of dark hair. I think the first thing I said to Guy when I saw him was "he looks exactly like you and Emery!" Even the nurses kept saying, "he looks just like his daddy!" People always ask me if it bothers me that Emery looks so much like her Dad and my answer is always NO - I love that they look like their Daddy.
 Meeting our little man for the first time was such a spiritual and intimate experience it's hard to put into words - I'm so grateful that my Heavenly Father has entrusted Guy and I with another one of his precious little children - we are so truly blessed to have Erik in our lives.
I figure I'll just let some pictures of our special day show how wonderful it really was...so prepare yourself for a picture overload!!
 
Meeting Mommy for the first time

Meeting Daddy for the first time

Welcome to the world Erik!!




Born on Husker game day! When we got to our room he had this little football blanket and Nebraska shirt waiting for us :)



Right before his first bath

Footprints

Love those little toes on this Zimmerman boy


Meeting his big sister for the first time

Our first family picture as a family of 4!

We have the best family & friends!

Heading home!

Back home and big sister was in awe! The first thing Emery did was try to stick his binky in his mouth when he started crying!
 
I'm mad at myself for not taking more pictures while in the hospital, mainly of our visitors, especially of my mother in law who came to visit the night Erik was born. We are so grateful for her and everything she did for us while she was here! She cooked, cleaned, got up with Emery every single day, she just did everything and I can't express enough how grateful and happy we were to have her here during Erik's birth. Thank you so much Lori! We were so lucky to have Poppa Bruce come visit for a few days as well - we were so happy it worked out for him to visit. We are also anxiously awaiting for Thanksgiving break when my parents are coming to meet the little man and visit for a few days...we can't wait for you guys to come!
 

 
October 5th will forever be one of my very favorite days and I'm so grateful to have Erik in my life. He is such a sweet baby with such a content and sweet demeanor. I'm grateful for his big sister and her fun and crazy personality, she brings a smile to my face multiple times a day, and I'm so grateful for my sweet husband and best friend who has given me the greatest gift anyone could ever have by giving me the chance to be a mother. He works harder than anyone I know, going to law school full time and working 2 jobs so that I can be a stay at home mom to our kids, I love him so much. My life is blessed and my heart is full as I look at what my Heavenly Father has given me.
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment