Monday, June 25, 2012

Hand in Hand

Yesterday marked 2 years since Guy proposed and to celebrate he took Emery and I for a walk in the park where the proposal took place. During our long 2 month dating period ;) we would take walks in a certain park in Provo several times a week. We would swing on the swings and talk and walk - I really feel like it is where I got to know a lot about Guy. It was so fun to go back yesterday and walk and talk about how much has changed in the past 2 years and reflect upon all the blessings, challenges, and fun we have had. He is absolutely the best thing that has ever happened to me and I'm so lucky to have Guy in my life. He has blessed my life in so many ways and given me a perfect daughter who I love more than words can explain. Life is so good! ( a few pictures from our park trip yesterday)

 At our wedding reception my Aunt Kary wrote a poem about "Our story" after our trip to the park I pulled it out last night to read it again, I thought I would share:

Guy and Nikki - Hand in Hand for Eternal Life

We've planned, we've gathered, we've witnessed this day, Love made eternal, come what may!
Pure and worthy throughout their lives, Guy and Nikki are now husband and wife.
Kneeling together hand in hand, Their union was sealed and forever stands!
Priesthood power was authorized to say, "You've chosen God's only appointed way."
"And with that choice you're destined to be, The Zimmerman Family for eternity!"
Now, mortality will bring some ups and downs, But nothing impossible for the celestial bound.
You're yoked with God, who's promised to share, Whatever challenges you're called to bear.
So plant with care those everyday seeds, Strive hard to meet each other's needs.
Be tender and gentle, patient and kind; His covenant blessings you'll surely find.
God never forsakes what He's promised to do, When we are obedient, faithful, and true!

Enough advice, I suspect you want more; "Like what brought this couple to the temple door?"
Two thousand nine is when they first met; At a dinner party, by each other they set.
Guy was assigned to divert Nikki's eye, From another man's date, he didn't pry.
Nikki was cute, she spoke Portuguese; This friendly favor would be conquered with ease.
Guy took his chair, and with foreign tongue spoke; Nikki swallowed, she squeaked, then totally choked!
She was nervous and shy, intimidated too; By this good looking man from out of the blue!
Nothering transpired for quite awhile, A parking lot wave became their style.
Then several months later Guy barged right in; Without even knocking, now that's a sin!
Nikki was talking with that other man, You know the one from the dinner plan.
The three sat and talked without any reserve, Guy earned some credits he rightly deserved.
Funny and talkative with just the right edge, "I'll see him again," Nikki's mind pledged.
And so it happened just as she thought; While serving with care, her company Guy sought.
From service, to party, to ward cookout they went, Time together was comfortably spent.
Their friendship progressed, it was time to move on; First date official -- Disney's "Train a Dragon!"
The move was followed by a tender first kiss, Leaving Nikki with butterfly bliss!
Dating continued with trips here and there, Visiting family they could talk and share.
One memborable dinner was with Uncle Balt, Where he didn't ask Guy to, "Pass the salt;"
But announced Lake Powell as the place to be, For a man to suggest eternity.
Guy turned bright red and continued to chew, He couldn't respond, his salad was glue!
Four weeks later when his throat finally cleared, "Nikki," he said, "Please meet my family dear."
Nik readily agreed, because she knew; Her feelings were deep, this love was true.
Their trip to Pendleton went very well, Love was expressed and hearts did swell.
One month later there was marriage talk, They even went on that ring shop walk.
Nikki wondered if the proposal was near, "Had this man she loved talked to her father dear?"
"No," Guy teased one night on the swings, He'd lost the number and couldn't ring.
"I'll have to be patient," was Nikki's first thought. While Guy was working his proposal plot.
They sat on the bench and then Guy confessed, "I spoke with your Dad and passed the test!"
"But, my dear, no ring tonight," "You must be sure this commitment is right!"
Guy reached in his pocket and pulled out a note, Two pages of reasons how he planned to vote.
"I'm in this forever," he poassionately said, "And this is yours, once you've read."
Now in Guy's hand was a beautiful ring, "Yes, Yes, YES!" Nikki's heart did sing.

That "YES" we heard again today; Love made eternal, come what may!
Guy and Nikki are now husband and wife, Hand in hand for eternal life!

-Kary Lewis - September 2010 (Thanks Aunt Kary)



I'm such a lucky girl and feel so blessed to have such a wonderful little family. We are excited for all of our new adventures and I'm grateful I have my sweet husband with me every step of the way. Love you Guy!!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post Nikki:) - so glad you said Yes!!!

    ReplyDelete