So I was once told that to be a Zimmerman I had to attempt the famous and amazing 8 layer cake! My husband will attest (although he would probably lie to save my feelings) that I am NOT a great cook and I am terrible at baking, but because I love him so much I decided to give it a try this year. It was quite a challenge from the beginning when I realized that we had the wrong size pans! We had the big jelly roll pans and the small ones and just my luck the recipe is set for the medium size pans that we do not own. Sooo...entrusting my husband's amazing math skills we 1 1/2 the cake receipe and decided after much debate to go with the big jelly roll pans and pray. Guy thought we should just make a 6 layer cake with the small ones, but if I was gonna committ to the 8 layers...6 was not going to be good enough!
Well to make a long story short - a few flour spills later, a few inadvertently broken eggs, and a little smoke from an old oven....Wah-la.....8 layer cake for the birthday boy!
So it may have been a little tilted...(hence the way I had him hold the cake up in the first picture) it was a noble attempt for my first try. :) It turned out yummy and we enjoyed it with our wonderful friends Ron and Mindy.
We also went out to SLAB our favorite pizza place for some Buffalo Wing Pizza (one of Guy's favs) and played some Ticket to Ride letting the birthday boy win of course. :)
I am well aware that this isn't the most flattering picture of me and I can feel myself getting bigger and bigger every week! I had to bust out the maternity pants last week and can't really complain because they are actually quite comfortable!
We are so blessed and so grateful for all that we have. I'm the luckiest girl alive to have such an amazing husband who makes me feel special every single day! Happy late Birthday Guy! Love you!
We are so blessed and so grateful for all that we have. I'm the luckiest girl alive to have such an amazing husband who makes me feel special every single day! Happy late Birthday Guy! Love you!
That cake looks A-MAZE-ING - are you kidding me?! You won't even find a photo of MY first attempt :) Great job on the blog-I'm excited!!!
ReplyDeleteWow. I'm so impressed by the 8 layer cake. It usually takes us Zimmermans years to perfect(if ever).
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Guy!